Thoughts on the new 200 treadwear rule?

Brain
Da Brains of da operation

Thoughts on the new 200 treadwear rule?

Post by Brain »

So as of 2015 Street and Street Touring classes have to run a tire with a treadwear of 200 or higher.

I see some clubs in the US are not enforcing that until 2016 for local events. Basically they are allowing people to run out the tires they already have. General consensus is that tires like the Toyo R1R, Hankook RS-3 etc didn't change at all other than the TW rating was bumped to 200. Meaning if you buy R1R's this spring they will show up with a 200 TW - if you have some left from last year they are 140 TW, but there was no change to the actual tire.

Thoughts?

Full disclosure - I have 140 TW R1R's that I could run on my Civic, but I'm also pretty impartial as I could use them as rain tires on the Miata. I'm sure there are others that have tires left that don't have those options....
angryturtle
Street Prepared Class

Re: Thoughts on the new 200 treadwear rule?

Post by angryturtle »

Just got a new set of Yokohama Advan Neova AE08's with a 180 tread wear because I couldn't find my usual RE11's which are 200 tread wear. However, I usually race on the Hoosiers unless it is wet. I would prefer at least a one year reprieve.
Does refusing to go to the gym count as resistance training? :?
spigot52
Street Touring Class

Post by spigot52 »

Since our events are not on a national level, I see no problem in saving some people money.
We will just have to make sure non-regular competitors are aware we are cheaters.
angryturtle
Street Prepared Class

Post by angryturtle »

spigot52 wrote:We will just have to make sure non-regular competitors are aware we are cheaters.
As if it really makes a difference, especially if companies like Toyo are just rebaging their 140 tread wear tires as 200 without changing the compound.
Brain
Da Brains of da operation

Post by Brain »

spigot52 wrote:Since our events are not on a national level, I see no problem in saving some people money.
We will just have to make sure non-regular competitors are aware we are cheaters.
Not cheating - there is something in the rules that allows local/regional events to set their own rules to encourage competition...or something along those lines...

Here is a couple snips of Toyo's official release regarding the change from 140 to 200 TW. It's the same deal for the rest of the manufacturers...

Toyo assigned the 140 Treadwear rating to match the UTQG Treadwear rating required by competition rules when the Proxes R1R was introduced, however subsequent Toyo wear data revealed the tire line earned a 200 Treadwear rating.

No changes were made to tire compound or construction, so both 140- and 200-Treadwear-rated tires are compatible with each other when put into service as singles, pairs or in combination.
autoschmidt
Street Touring Class

Post by autoschmidt »

I have several tires with the 140 treadwear rating that will need to be used up, so the years grace does benefit my situation. However, if the rules did change I would probably just run them out in a different class anyway.
riceracer
Street Prepared Class

Post by riceracer »

I agree, I have no problem with people running a 140 tw tire for this year as I know there are a bunch of people with tires left and it would seem like a waste to just throw them out. I know that we do have a little of our 140tw tires left that we would like to use up.
5centSi
Street Touring Class

Post by 5centSi »

Hankook Ventus R-S3 (Version 2) same game as Toyo R1Rs! lol
Either they're 200 TW or they're not. Obviously they're not.

So, using the same anology, you shouldn't have a problem with me racing this season on Proxes R888s as Street. 100 TW is actually 160 TW.
Then I'll be on par with all you on your 200 TW tires, oops, I mean, 140 TW tires. :roll:
Seems fair to me! :mrgreen:
angryturtle
Street Prepared Class

Post by angryturtle »

I think the rule needs to be explained better or revisited. I don't understand why this 200 TW rule change came about seeing as TW does not appear to be a remotely reliable way of comparing the stickiness of tires anymore (if it ever was). I wonder how much BF Goodrich with their 200 TW Rivals had to do with this.
See23
Modified Class

Post by See23 »

Science or rumors - no one knows 100% that 140 = 200 from any manufacturer.
If a newbie shows up with better then 200, I wouldn't have a problem with that.
If any of the competitive experienced guys have a set of near new tires outside the new regulation, that's a different issue.
There has been plenty of time and notice to run your tires down and get a new set within the new rules.
Ignorance or not showing up for enough events in 2014 to use them up, should not be reason to dodge the rules.
I bought my 200's early last season in anticipation of the change and ran them all 2014 and I'll be starting the season on worn 200s.
This may not be VCMC or a "national" event but it's competition non the less.
Grip matters!
Feel. Don't think.