Newbie question

What you need to know to start racing
5centSi
Street Touring Class

Re: Newbie question

Post by 5centSi »

mcsinc wrote: Any other comments from other "seasoned" racers?
Well, I'm a seasoned 'stock class' racer for nearly 9 seasons, and 'stock' is where to start and maybe where to stay now.

The best way to learn? Ask questions of the veterans like I did, ask after driving a course, ask about specific sections realizing where you went wrong. Where the racers brake, their lines through the cones, where to gear, where to accelerate. Read some Auto Slalom info like Solo II Novice Handbook (http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm).

Go for a few rides with See23 or Brain or many other very awesome drivers in the Club, have them ride with you, get some 'seat time' on all season V-rated tires with treadwear 320+, then feel your car shift, pitch, break free, oversteer, listen to the tires squeal as you brake late, or 4 wheel drift in a corner losing tire grip, or miss a section of the course, or hit a cone, and eventually you'll learn to drive to the limit of the tires. THEN upgrade to better tires and lighter wheels (remaining 'stock' class) and soon you will learn to drive to the limit of your 'stock' car. Don't get frustrated. And before you know it, you'll have a 'target' on your back like I did...:lol: "Just kidding" ;) [ :idea: Maybe this should be put under "Rants in your Pants", but my dumb questions got answered without holding my pizza, I greased my squeaky wheel, it wasn't a picnic being in 'stock class' as a Novice, I wasn't 'right' because 'Wise One' always knows something the competition doesn't...Brain is the 'Wise One' on everything SCCA Solo!] By the way, I'm still learning the art of Autox Racing and have a long way to go!

Foremost, have fun racing. It's addicting, and soon you'll feel competetive with yourself as you learn and progress. It's all friendly competition in a great Club with a bunch of great drivers.
See23
Modified Class

Post by See23 »

I'm a big fan of Tirerack and get tires and wheels shipped to Betta Servics in Oroville (like a lot of us do).
Question now is, is the Canadian $$$ dive going to kill the advantage?
Price of oil might help tire prices but that will take a while.
Feel. Don't think.
Brain
Da Brains of da operation

Post by Brain »

US exchange is definitely not going to help tire buying. I'm so glad we are only going to need 2 sets of Hoosiers, a set of rains, and a set of mystery tires for the Civic. Assuming I don't have to bust out my secret pax weapon which would mean another set of streets. I think I need a cheaper hobby :?
riceracer
Street Prepared Class

Post by riceracer »

I know you could take up horse riding!!! I am sure that is way cheaper.....lol
angryturtle
Street Prepared Class

Post by angryturtle »

Brain wrote:US exchange is definitely not going to help tire buying. I'm so glad we are only going to need 2 sets of Hoosiers, a set of rains, and a set of mystery tires for the Civic. Assuming I don't have to bust out my secret pax weapon which would mean another set of streets. I think I need a cheaper hobby :?
Like 5centSi said, the sport is addicting. You start in stock class, which I agree is the best place to start. Unlike, 5centSi many of us move on to more expensive classes. There is no question that racing with Hoosiers is "funner". But then you want more and you start driving 4 hours to Pitt Meadows to race a bigger course (3 hours if it is an RS4). Then it is 8 hours to drive to an even bigger course in Packwood, WA. Then you start to realize that driving 16 hours (there and back) and spending 15.9 hours at the event standing and working and only 6 minutes driving (7 minutes if it is a longer course) you start to wonder if there is more to racing than this.

Autocross can lead to the cocaine of racing which is road course racing in real race cars. Initially you are just racing 4 hours away at Mission but you are getting 2 or 3 days of practicing, qualifying and racing using all your gears (not just first and second) and all your brakes (whoa Nelly that guy's bumper came up real fast) and spending over an hour per day sweating like a human in 2 layers of Nomex underwear grinning like a devil duelling wheel to wheel with other crazy dudes like yourself. Although Mission is a good technical progression for a racer coming from autocross, Mission is still the shortest track in North America (probably) with 1.2 miles and 9 turns. Then you hear about the Northwestern Conference racing with 7 other tracks up to 2.5 miles long and 16 turns located from Washington to Oregon and Seattle to Spokane. Now you are going through a set of tires every other weekend or so and buying gas at $4 a litre and going through 67 litres a day not to mention entry fees, hotels, tow vehicles, car haulers, insurance...

<Big breath...>

Okay. I am calm now. I have been going through withdrawal all winter and I need a fix. Goddamit! When is the first race of the season?
Does refusing to go to the gym count as resistance training? :?
See23
Modified Class

Post by See23 »

You had me thinking good thoughts in the first 90% of your road racing speal, then the $$$ reality and other factors brought me back down to earth. Bin there and can't stop thinking about going back. Wheel to wheel is like ... (- delete - to weird), fun!

Both have their good and bad sides but in the end, autocross is soooo realatively cheap and still fun and addictive!
Feel. Don't think.
angryturtle
Street Prepared Class

Post by angryturtle »

See23 wrote:You had me thinking good thoughts in the first 90% of your road racing speal, then the $$$ reality and other factors brought me back down to earth. Bin there and can't stop thinking about going back. Wheel to wheel is like ... (- delete - to weird), fun!

Both have their good and bad sides but in the end, autocross is soooo realatively cheap and still fun and addictive!
Yes, and short.
See23
Modified Class

Post by See23 »

angryturtle wrote:
Yes, and short.
I know what you mean. Especially at the Packwood National. Almost painful and not sure I'd do it again until I know I have a car that could place.

But...
I've thought about other sports, played out in seconds, and the training and dedication it takes to compete and realized that we are not that different as autocrossers.
Sports like drag racing, track and field sprinters, bobsled, luge, downhill ski racing, snow cross, downhill bike racing, Rubics cube, pie eating, etc.
All raced human to human and judged by a clock. Not so different and no less important to the players.
I've adjusted to the idea and enjoy the time between those runs, 60 sec and less (...the better), to prep for the next run even if it's working the course and watching each drivers interpretation with the braking points, entry speed, line, facial expression and all those important details. In the end it becomes not just a 50 something second run but a complete experience.
I love the banter and the mind games. I love dishing it out while struggling to take it.
We are no different then hockey fans except we are the spectators and the players. (just wish I could sit and have a beer. :(
It's a club and were competitors but we are friends and I look forward to seeing all you gear heads every week... and then kicking your asses! :twisted: ...in a friendly way.

...and I know you know.
Feel. Don't think.
5centSi
Street Touring Class

Post by 5centSi »

See23, above post well said. One of your best. I'm impressed! Can't wait to kick yer ass back!! :lol: ;)
angryturtle
Street Prepared Class

Post by angryturtle »

See23 wrote:... watching each driver's...facial expression and all those important details...?

We are no different then hockey fans except...
...except hockey is 60 minutes and autocross is 6.

You watch the driver's facial expressions? So, if it's like :o "oops", that means something like "don't take that line next run", or "I should have braked earlier" or "I need to change my underwear" or something like that? :lol: