Question - should I exclude myself from the results

Should Brian be excluded form the event results?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:20 pm

Yes - excluded - he has an advantage because he designs the course, runs out of order, etc
8%
No - not excluded - if he does gain any advantage it's offset by all the distractions of trying to run the event
67%
Who cares - he's a hack driver anyway
8%
Who's Brian?
17%

Total votes: 12

Brain
Da Brains of da operation

Question - should I exclude myself from the results

Post by Brain »

Maybe this is an anonymous way to get some input from the club members? Don't know that we've ever really used the poll feature, so I guess this is as good a time as any to find out. Hopefully people can only vote once. I've set a 2 week limit on voting.

So the question is: Since I design the courses etc etc - should I be exempt from the results? Meaning I'm not eligible for yearend trophies and I don't showup in the event results. I still take the same number of runs (or less) as everybody else - they just don't count.

The argument for:
- some people think I have an advantage. If I don't count then it doesn't matter if I do or don't.
- I'm totally fine with the idea (I've voluntarily offered to be excluded before and it's me suggesting it this time).

The arguments against:
- it sets a precedent. Future course designers might not feel the same way I do about being excluded.
- some people like the competition and want me to be included.

Don't feel obligated to post your preference - just vote. Trying to find a way to get member input on this (and future issues) in an anonymous way. Curious how many people will vote.

We'll see how it goes - this likely won't be the final decision since we don't yet know whether people can vote numerous times or how many people will actually vote. Just looking for some input and getting a feeling for how people react to the poll concept.
Last edited by Brain on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkinnyG
Street Prepared Class

Re: Question - should I exclude myself from the results

Post by SkinnyG »

Since you ~do~ run the course, or sections of the course, in a vehicle prior to the formal walk through, you have an advantage to knowing the course in a vehicle better than others.

You're not always FTD or Top PAX, so I wouldn't say this is a massive advantage. You are a very good and very accomplished driver, so you ~should~ place relatively high in the results.

If I remember correctly (and it's been years), when I helped set up courses with BCMA back at Boundary Bay, the course was just set up, and then I think a trial run was done in the truck that pulled the trailer. Or someone who wasn't going to be there, or something, to avoid a "conflict of interest" or to make sure it was "at arms length." Or I am completely wrong; it's been years.

Or wait - maybe it was the Event Steward who ran it, because they were not allowed to compete in the event..... Do we have an Event Steward?

I'd volunteer to run the course at set up, because I ain't going to win anything in anything I drive - but I likely won't attend every event. If any. Though the Firefly will be there more next year.
Lethal Locost - street legal roller skate
Fiendish Firefly - 5.7lbs of engine in a 1lb bag
Crusty Chevy - shortboxed and dropped, potato potato
SkinnyG
Street Prepared Class

Post by SkinnyG »

But if people get their knickers in a knox in this volunteer sport because they didn't win.....

... I don't think it's YOUR problem.

We could mimic the school system and make sure EVERYONE gets a ribbon.

(Pabst Blue RIbbon?)
Lethal Locost - street legal roller skate
Fiendish Firefly - 5.7lbs of engine in a 1lb bag
Crusty Chevy - shortboxed and dropped, potato potato
brucethebrat
Street Prepared Class

Post by brucethebrat »

I see no need for Brian to be excluded. Maybe we can change the course testing by having someone like me test it since I never place above 10th.
Obviously some see this event as "competitive", I see it as a fun night out and a chance to go for a beer with friends.

Keep in mind, you are competing for an $8 trophy.
Brain
Da Brains of da operation

Post by Brain »

Matt actually suggested a very simple and effective solution last time I brought this up. I think it probably works for everybody. If I take a car on course for testing - then I take one less run than everybody else. Thoughts?
brucethebrat
Street Prepared Class

Post by brucethebrat »

That may be a solution. I see no need for it and I'm sure 99% of the others don't either, but if it makes a few happy, fine. But that means you go all out when testing, not holding back.
Ben

Post by Ben »

No, not excluded and no lost laps.

Brian does not do all of the course walks that we do, he's busy kicking over cones, making it a safe event.

He is an exceptional driver and places equally well in out of town races. We are lucky to have him.
See23
Modified Class

Post by See23 »

Someone that is not racing should drive the course.
Follow the rules.

Take all your runs but take them in proper order or forfeit missed runs.
Last edited by See23 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Feel. Don't think.
riceracer
Street Prepared Class

Post by riceracer »

So who do you purpose to do that, are you volunteering to test drive the course to make sure that it is safe and not have your runs counted? From your posts I highly doubt you are going to step up on that one... so who does it then? It has to be someone with experience and knows about course design and what is safe and what is potentialy an issue... so far we have not found a person who will do this or has the qualifications to do this so we make do with what we have...
See23
Modified Class

Post by See23 »

riceracer wrote:So who do you purpose to do that, are you volunteering to test drive the course to make sure that it is safe and not have your runs counted? From your posts I highly doubt you are going to step up on that one... so who does it then? It has to be someone with experience and knows about course design and what is safe and what is potentialy an issue... so far we have not found a person who will do this or has the qualifications to do this so we make do with what we have...
Easy answer. Brian does it, he doesn't race.

My contributions are long forgotten and the left wing leadership in the club doesn't like / can't take constrictive criticism or feedback.

So... knowing nothing will change because I've bruised to many egos at the top of shit mountain, I wont be back.
Last edited by See23 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Feel. Don't think.