#9 - Sunday Aug 21, 2016

Brain
Da Brains of da operation

Re: #9 - Sunday Aug 21, 2016

Post by Brain »

Kenny Cone = a cone that gets hit repeatedly. On a big course Kenny is typically a poor course design. On small lots it's often just a cone designed to control speeds - people try to avoid the necessary slow down then Kenny gets killed over and over again.

Pinch Point = a corner or element that drivers thinks they should be able to drive faster. Because they can't drive it at the speed they want then it must be a bad course design.

Brian Cone = stays in the trailer until my patience runs out :lol:
Attachments
cone.jpg
cone.jpg (212.94 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
angryturtle
Street Prepared Class

Post by angryturtle »

Good discussion. I respect the fact that the course had to be safe and that speed needs to be controlled. Pinch points do help develop car control but they tend to penalize the wider cars. You either have to slow down to the point that you are no longer really racing or you have to flick the wheel and gamble you don't hit the cone. Either way you are not really practicing any useful racing skills that are applicable to larger courses like Pitt Meadows or a race track. If it were possible to design a safe course without pinch points I think it would be better for driver development. I think that corners that allow you to pick your line and drift the car, even if they are really slow, are better for developing racing skills that are applicable elsewhere. I personally don't mind if the course is similar each time. It gives me the opportunity to try and perfect things. If a similar course contains a variety of elements then it is still good practice and helps develop useful skills. To get more variety I would go to different race venues.
Does refusing to go to the gym count as resistance training? :?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Some pretty strong opinions here. I haven't raced a course this year that I haven't enjoyed. I think Brain does an awesome job and as early stated, he is his own worst critic. Each of his courses have offered challenges that I hope to make me better understand the racing line and my car's dynamics. Ultimately, his variety of elements and creativity make me a better driver.

Thanks Brain.

Congrats to Richard and Matt for a great year!