Silly Season - New to me car

RichardMotion
Street Touring Class

Silly Season - New to me car

Post by RichardMotion »

So I should probably start with a bit of a background.
I come from a sporty bike background and had a pretty good culture set up in the 'Loops. Riding was epic! Great group, and greater roads.
Today's Sporty bikes are THE fastest vehicle to recieve trickle down technology. What was Moto GP 3 years ago is on the showroom floor now and usually under 20k. Not sure that happens with F1.
Anyways.... 2010 comes along and the speeding rules get changed and impounds happen.
There is no venue in BC for a sport bike enthusiast to be safe and take it to the track. 'cept drag racing. " I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time...." NOT.
Gave Supermoto racing a shot, bought a championship. Schedule at the time didn't really coincide so ended with that season.
Being new to the Vernon/Kelowna area, setting up or entering the same ish culture didnt really work.
Cant really remember how I stumbled into autocross but the bike scene wasnt doing it and needed something simialr to fill a void.
I am a HUGE fan of Yamaha and their quality control and with Toyota being a sister company I wondered what they offered that could fulfill/
Figured at some point I would want to try drifting so I new the car needed to be 5 speed and rear wheel drive. Without getting all Fast and Furiousy ( not where I wanted to be ) there isn't really a lot of options with out going wicked vintage. Was gonna do a 1st gen Celica but whooo they are pricey, then I found a 2nd gen , just about pulled the pin but test drive said uh huh.
Kijiij showed an MR2 in Armstrong went and checked it out but she was asking more than I was willing to spend but that model just rolled my socks up and down and after 4 1/2 months of searching I bought an 87 almost sight unseen. I'm comfortable enough in my investment that even if it breaks I'll be ok.

It appears to be a sort of unmolested NA Mk1b, has rebuilt status but so what. "get a ticket red", T-tops, 5speed 1.6l rolling on stock 14's
Looking to start in the novice area and plans for the car should keep it in mostly stock classes. Suspension and brakes mostly, nothing huge in the engine bay
Just got it home Sunday night and still in the middle of the lets clean it and see what we're working with stage.
Gathering up the required fluids for a fresh beginning.
As I dig deeper into it I'll be hitting you guys up for class info and tuning recommendations :)
See23
Modified Class

Re: Silly Season - New to me car

Post by See23 »

I smell competitive spirit. :)
...and a short learning curve. No pressure. :lol:

I don't know much about the MR2 but I've always liked the look and it looks like nice little car to squeeze into the OC parking lot.

Hope I can stuff my 6'4" self into the passenger seat. (-1/2 inch by 4pm)
I'm stuffing myself into a 2006 MX5 this year. That seemed to work last year. :shock:
Feel. Don't think.
riceracer
Street Prepared Class

Post by riceracer »

Welcome, from the sounds of it I think that you are going to enjoy yourself and we look forward to seeing you out. Remember there is no such thing as a dumb question (maybe just the person asking :D j/k) so do feel free to ask, many of the people here are very knowledgeable and will be able to help you out. If see23 can't fit in your car I will have no problem as I am vertically challenged (for weight reduction of course as lighter is faster :? )
Wow see23 a 2006 mx5 why the switch? You should have got a s2k they are way faster and much more masculine. :lol:
See23
Modified Class

Post by See23 »

riceracer wrote:Wow see23 a 2006 mx5 why the switch? You should have got a s2k they are way faster and much more masculine. :lol:
Because:
Parts swap from the 2013 including 2 sets of wheels and 200TW tires.
Weight loss of around 100lbs (still not sure how much exactly)
Dedicated autocross and track car that I can do whatever to, without feeling guilty.
End of the "new car every year" saga
It's red!

The manly stuff I'll have to compensate for somewhere else and I wouldn't say a S2000 is that much more masculine.
Feel. Don't think.
Brain
Da Brains of da operation

Post by Brain »

RichardMotion wrote:It appears to be a sort of unmolested NA Mk1b, has rebuilt status but so what. "get a ticket red", T-tops, 5speed 1.6l rolling on stock 14's
Looking to start in the novice area and plans for the car should keep it in mostly stock classes. Suspension and brakes mostly, nothing huge in the engine bay)
Autocross is more about the driver and grip - more power generally just bumps you into classes where you have to spend obscene amounts of power to be competitive. Sounds to me like you are on the right track. Wheel/tire selection will be key if you want to stay in stock (technically called street) class. You can go 1" bigger or smaller in diameter, but have to keep the same offset and wheel width. Going to a 15" wheel will give you the best tire selection although there are some decent tires in 14" still
Brain
Da Brains of da operation

Post by Brain »

See23 wrote:End of the "new car every year" saga
angryturtle
Street Prepared Class

Post by angryturtle »

See23 wrote:
riceracer wrote:Wow see23 a 2006 mx5 why the switch? You should have got a s2k they are way faster and much more masculine. :lol:
Because:
Parts swap from the 2013 including 2 sets of wheels and 200TW tires.
Weight loss of around 100lbs (still not sure how much exactly)
Dedicated autocross and track car that I can do whatever to, without feeling guilty.
End of the "new car every year" saga
It's red!
It is a great car. Good choice. Fiscally responsible, which despite my behaviour :oops: I actually admire. Better than a Prius, although I would still like to see a slammed Prius racing on Hoosiers, and environmentally friendly too. :)
Does refusing to go to the gym count as resistance training? :?
5centSi
Street Touring Class

Post by 5centSi »

RMotion,
Maybe you can get your racing 'fix' of superbike racing by revving a 7 speed Yamaha R1 in a Dwarf Car!
Best of both worlds...Super fast acceleration and grip on the track, oval or autox. Fully adjustable for any course. Check this site: http://dwarfracing.ca/

Not to sway you away from Autox because that's where you really learn how to drive, although I know individuals that start out and get really discouraged because they 'think' they have the car and 'driving ability' to race, and then have a rude awakening when they come out for their first couple races! They ususlly get discouraged, like a fellow last year at Kal Tire Place coming out with a new BMW Z4, got completely discouraged and left the session after 2 runs!
Again, not to discourage you, but it's the reality of the sport. Ask Bjorn. I invited him to Autox, he has an AMG Benz, has driven Nurburgring, says "Yah! Love to come out to race!" and gets spanked, like all noobies, including me my first couple seasons. But, Bjorn didn't waiver, kept at it, and improved his skills. He now races a Dwarf Car in addition to Autox, and has just officially set the fastest lap record last Fall at Penticton Speedway, including winning several races in his first year!

Anyways, there's no substitution for improving your driving skills at Autox but driving in a 'stock' car because any perks in driving a fast car, or improving suspension, engine, tires etc. doesn't necessarily help you race better until you 'pay your dues', so to speak (with seat time). That's what I did, drive 'stock' and still do. As Angry Turtle mentioned in a post, I race 'stock', not by choice at this point in time, but because that's all I can afford. Sure, I'd love to race a new higher performance vehicle every year or 2, or dedicate a Honda (btw, Honda Rules! ;) ) specifically to Autox and spec it to the limit in it's Class to compete against the other Civics, or track race at Mission, or attend Regional US Nationals, but I don't have that time or extra cash to play the upper game, so just have a 'daily driver' for Autox which is better than NO Autox. Talk to Angry Turtle. He used to race a Toyoto Corolla in 'stock' so he knows where I'm at in the 'stock class' world. And he learned very well in that car, and spanked many of us in that car! Now he spanks us in his Angry Turtle!! :lol:

Good luck in your new ride, and enjoy the new experience of Autox. There's a wealth of expertise and help from Brain, See23, Riceracer, Angry Turtle, Autoschmidt, and so many other excellent driving veterans in the Club.
angryturtle
Street Prepared Class

Post by angryturtle »

I miss that Corolla. It was fun. I never knew it had a rev limiter or that it could corner that fast with the right tires until I started autocross. You had to have 3/4 tank full of gas or you would fuel starve on left hand turns. I wish I new then what I know now about racing though. I don't miss the open diff so you have no acceleration and oil tanker lean on turning (which is all the time).
Does refusing to go to the gym count as resistance training? :?
RichardMotion
Street Touring Class

Post by RichardMotion »

I understand that I have a huge learning curve ahead. I also understand that the only skill I have is the ability to see the race lines. Cars are sorta brand new to me other then the grocery getters and attitude towards driving in general.
The MR2 is just a toy car for me replacing my bikes. Had I wanted to be super-competitive in this endeavor I would have sprung for a Miata.
Will be running the least modified classes mostly 'cuz the budget wont allow ( the other reason I chose auto-X ) . I f I had open wheel asperaions would have taken a different route.
You guys have been great and I look forward to being part of this community.
As mentioned in the newbie post. Willing to help with track prep, timing, flagging etc and even meetings if they happen.
Looking to replace what I left in the 'Loops :D