Packwood, WA SCCA Championship Tour

spigot52
Street Touring Class

Re: Packwood, WA SCCA Championship Tour

Post by spigot52 »

For this year's tour at Packwood the course designer will be Reijo.
Brain
Da Brains of da operation

Post by Brain »

OK - here's the newbie guide to Packwood. Not the only way to do it, but it works for us. I'm sure there will be more that I've forgotten.....ask away if you have questions.....

Registration Link http://www.scca.com/events/1981896-2016 ... ations/new

You have to signup before you can register, but it's pretty straight forward after that. There is also a $15 USD (unless it went up?) weekend membership fee. I couldn't find it on the website, but you can pay cash on site.

Things to bring aside from the obvious:
- 2 way radios for keeping in touch while we're travelling (like the ones the club has for course workers)
- cooler - see below
- chair
- rain gear, jacket, sunscreen, hat etc. It's in the mountains - it's usually sunny, but the weather can go to extremes.
- PASSPORT
- DRIVERS LICENCE
- US cash. Don't need much. $15 for temp membership, $30 or whatever for a t-shirt, maybe a few bucks for a hamburger.

Friday
- Leave Kelowna at 3:30 am puts us in PW at noonish. That's a civilized pace with trailer - it can be done faster.
- Test & Tune runs from 11-3. Basically get the car ready, tech and test and tune.
- That leaves the rest of the day for real tech, applying stickers, registration, hotel check-in, dinner, course walks etc.

Saturday
- 5 heats. You need to know where to be and when.
- BBQ at the firehall. Free including beverages.
- Course walks.

Sunday
- 5 heats. Same order as Saturday. Starts an hour earlier. No drivers meeting.
- Collect trophies. Head for home. Dinner along the way. Usually home about 2 am.

Why a cooler? We buy drinks and buns/meat, chips, fruit etc for /breakfast/lunch. There is no McDonalds in Packwood. The gas station does have a sub shop and some corn dogs etc. Having your won food on site is way easier when you're in a rush. Also not so likely to be sprinting off course trying to find an outhouse. Friday dinner at the Blue Moose - the true Packwood experience. Saturday BBQ. Hotel has a small continental breakfast.

Random thoughts:
- there is a spot available on site to wash cars
- trailers can be left on site overnight. It's quite secure because Packwood and people camping on site.

There's a bunch of technical stuff like grid, audit sheets etc. We'll go over that when we get there
Brain

Post by Brain »

Forgot about contingency. The links are here - make sure you get National Tour (not National Championship)
http://www.scca.com/pages/main-contingency

I recommend registering for everything that you qualify for - it's free. You never know - weather could be a factor or you could have the weekend of your life. It would suck to miss out on free stuff. Decals are available on site and must be in the proper positions. Yes - they actually take pictures of every car to confirm.
SteveMcQueen
Street Touring Class

Post by SteveMcQueen »

Thanx for all the info Brian. Do we have to put numbers and class on the cars. And if so where is the best place to get magnetic versions?
Brain

Post by Brain »

Yes class and numbers are mandatory. I can't remember where people have been getting them - Char or Richard should chime in maybe? Or you could probably borrow some - Matt/Wade or Maybe Aaron probably have the STS - I can't remember if I do. I have several numbers as do those guys (but not sure if we have 38 - number can always be changed at registration). Or if you're feeling artistic you can just go to Michaels or somewhere and get magnetic sheets and cut out the numbers/letters (sizing is below)

Here's the relevant rules.......

A. All vehicles must display numbers and class letters on both sides, which
must be readable by Timing & Scoring, Course, and Grid workers at all
times.
B. Only one set of numbers and class letters may be visible while the vehicle
is running.
C. Class shall be represented by the upper-case abbreviated form rather than
be spelled out. Ladies’ classes shall be indicated by the letter “L” following
the class letters. (Example: “BSPL” instead of “B Street Prepared Ladies”).
D. Numbers and class letters should be positioned next to each other. All letters
and numbers must be on body panels, not on windows. All numbers
and class letters must use the same typeface and the same color, and this
color must provide adequate contrast to the background color (see Appendix
F for examples).
E. Numbers must be a minimum of 8” (20.5 cm) high with a 1¼” (3.25 cm)
stroke. Class letters must be a minimum of 4” (10.25 cm) high with a ¾”
(2 cm) stroke. In all cases, the height of the class letters must be between
25% and 75% of the height of the numbers. Stroke width must be at least
10% of the height (see Appendix F.)
F. The “1” on two-driver cars and the “L” on Ladies class cars are subject to
all of the above requirements with regard to placement, color, size, and
stroke
Brain

Post by Brain »

More random thoughts...

- only 3 runs per day
- no passengers
- you are assigned a grid spot (they are numbered)
- grid runs in order. Only exception is for a mechanical which is done by the book. Literally with a stop watch.
- there is very little in the way of direction from the organizers. If you aren't sure about something ask one of us
- your car can not leave grid/course at anytime during your runs. As in no going back to the trailer for gas or repairs etc. Bring tools, etc to grid
- at the end of last runs the car must remain in grid for impound. Trunk and hood open. This is where protests can happen
- must have a fire extinguisher to add fuel in grid
- must have a jack stand to be under car in grid
- chasing cones is the best work assignment for a newb. Some of the other jobs are serious business.
- if you are in SM or above then car must be weighed after last run each day. You are responsible for knowing wheelbase and minimum weight.
Brain

Post by Brain »

More randomness....

If you need 94 octane you need to bring it with you. I think 91 is the best you can get in Packwood.

Bikes are useful if you have room. It's a big site and walking is slow.....
spigot52
Street Touring Class

Post by spigot52 »

SteveMcQueen wrote:Thanx for all the info Brian. Do we have to put numbers and class on the cars. And if so where is the best place to get magnetic versions?
Dena at Access Signs on Bredin Road just behind Coverdale Paint off Springfield
See23
Modified Class

Post by See23 »

I thought I might be able to get my car ready to be reasonably competitive in CSP but turns out the presence of a, useless when folded, soft top trumps the safety of a SCCA approved roll cage.
Go finger.? :?
Feel. Don't think.
Brain

Post by Brain »

I've been contemplating and I'm not sure CSP at the national level is the right place for you anyway.....I think it would frustrate you badly.

You won't like SP rules - they won't make sense.

NC Miata hasn't proven to be competitive in CSP.

CSP is harder than BSP and ASP - probably one of the worst pax numbers.

For our silent fans reading along at home. It does appear silly on the surface that you can't remove the soft top when you are replacing the weight with a roll bar. However, the rule isn't made for just one car. So it's a matter of where to draw the line. S2000 soft top for instance is power - weighs more than the Miata roof. What about something like a Mustang with a power top? So if you could remove the roof what about all the mechanical and electrical parts? Where do you draw the line as to what's "the roof". That could turn into what - a 300 lb weight reduction on a big car? What about some floppy car - removing the soft top and installing a roll bar could significantly stiffen the chassis. What if I use a roll cage that interferes with my windshield? Can I cut it off? Door skins in the way? Remove glass and such? It's a slippery slope.....

But what's that? You don't remember seeing a soft top in my car? You would be correct - I don't have one. We can update/backdate to the 2003 Club Sport that came without a soft top. All Miatas from 1990-2005 are on the same line and can swap parts to build the perfect Frankenstein car. See - that's an example of the rules you won't like :mrgreen: