Parking Lots

flyinlow
Street Touring Class

Parking Lots

Post by flyinlow »

I was out at West Kelowna. There is a big piece of snow covered pavement where the Zellers store was. Hardly any lights in the way either. I know one day something will open there. But till then..... Anybody know who owns that, I believe it's on native land..
Brain
Da Brains of da operation

Re: Parking Lots

Post by Brain »

I seem to recall KCC racing there a couple years ago. Not sure why they don't anymore. I remember something about pedestrian traffic being a problem.

I think Char might know the story?
SkinnyG
Street Prepared Class

Post by SkinnyG »

I think we raced at that site years ago - maybe 2001? 2002?

I was passengering in some dude's Honda Civic, when the stupid aftermarket pedal covers got stuck at full throttle. Driver didn't know what to do, and as we were heading full bore out into traffic, I reached over and turned the key off. Good times.
Lethal Locost - street legal roller skate
Fiendish Firefly - 5.7lbs of engine in a 1lb bag
Crusty Chevy - shortboxed and dropped, potato potato
Char
Street Class

Post by Char »

Old Zeller's lot has numerous access roads coming into it and I recall it being on a slant. City Furniture is at one side of the lot and an active business. In my opinion, it would be very difficult to block traffic. It is WFN land.
If everything seems UNDER CONTROL you're just not going fast enough :!:
Mazda3
Street Touring Class

Post by Mazda3 »

I am confused, I thought only Vernon was the issue? Is Kelowna, an issue too? In Vernon, why not the race track?
Brain

Post by Brain »

Think of it as Thursday and Sunday.

Thursday in Kelowna is fine. Not the greatest physical site, but ideal for being centrally located for the bulk of the local autocross population.

Sundays require a bigger site so that we can hold something resembling a "real" autocross. Not mandatory to be in Vernon. At this point I'd take anything from Osoyoos to Kamloops as long as it's a big, safe location.

Vernon race track was used years ago by the Kelowna corvette club. The track has had noise complaint issues in recent years. Last I heard they were only allowed to run a set number of events - I forget how many, but less than 10. Obviously we can't pay enough to replace a Cascar event. Honestly it's not the greatest autocross venue anyway.... walls leave marks that don't buff out :lol:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Brian et al. Looking forward to spring.

Kamloops has a potential location for autox.

Google earth 50.40.30.00N 120.22.09.84W. Street view University Drive Kamploops.

Looks large enough for our needs. Single entry and exit point. Full during the week, but appears empty on Sundays. Nearest residential 'hood is fair distance. Guessing it is university parking.

It might have a slight slope. I haven't seen this lot in person, just satellite and street view.
Brain

Post by Brain »

Thanks Ben,

I'll see what I can find out. Kamloops might be a tough place though. There was an autocross club formed there 2 years ago. They were all organized and ready to run at Aberdeen mall - which is just down the road from the university. If I recall correctly they had permission from the mall, insurance/permits/ all in place, etc ..... and then somehow the City got wind of it and pulled the pin on them before they even got started.
RichardMotion
Street Touring Class

Post by RichardMotion »

i'm going to be in Kamloops this weekend I'll go check it out as far as space constraints go. the parking curbs look a little ominous and may not leave enough leeway as far as width. If time allows I can check to find whom the correct person is to ask regarding permission and usage
spigot52
Street Touring Class

Post by spigot52 »

Has anyone looked at the Lavington glass plant?