Results - June 7

5centSi
Street Touring Class

Re: Results - June 7

Post by 5centSi »

I'm waiting too...
Also, waiting if you're going to bite at my offer?
Brain
Da Brains of da operation

Post by Brain »

Your offer to share why your car isn't stock?

Or your offer to show us how to setup a course?

I'm game for either one anytime now :mrgreen:
5centSi
Street Touring Class

Post by 5centSi »

Hmmm...nobody wants to ask or comment why my car isn't Stock except you.
That's interesting...it was just to get the postings going but, I Fail! :lol:

So I'll offer to share...my Si is below Stock because I can't afford to replace stock shocks and bushings after over 8 years of thrashing my car at Okanagan AutoX & VCMC, including being my daily driver all Seasons ( I hate the salt and Magnesium chloride in winter!). Oh, and according to SCCA I can install a larger sway bar front or rear to become full Stock Class. So there you have it, not Stock.

So my new offer, does anyone need a co-driver (apperently 4 drivers per car at Vernon) so I don't have to beat my daily driver all to hell until I can get it full Stock or beyond?
To be honest, I'm kinda tired of being 3 seconds slower than most of you guys! I need a challenge to drive a faster car! ;)

The second offer isn't to show you how to set up a course, only to help out early Sunday mornings. But if you ask for some ideas during set-up from someone inexperienced with course design, I can provide a suggestion.
Brain

Post by Brain »

That just puts you in the same boat as everybody else. I don't think there is a fully prepared car in the Okanagan.

Here's a cheap, temporary fix for you http://classifieds.castanet.net/details ... n/2278065/
5centSi
Street Touring Class

Post by 5centSi »

Thanks for the link. Good deal on a temporary fix.
All same autox boat for sure...but with the old rules I used to be fully prepared Stock! :lol:
As for offers, seems like Sunday set-ups and co-drivers are under control so that's good.
Salud...Hasta luego
Brain

Post by Brain »

5centSi wrote:but with the old rules I used to be fully prepared Stock! :lol:
The rules didn't change (well not in the last couple years anyway). Your car just got moved from GS to HS.

And I assure you that you have never been fully prepared. That would require $6,000 shocks, $2,000 custom wheels, etc. Fully prepared is for the rich and mentally unstable :(
mcsinc
Prepared Class

Post by mcsinc »

Brain wrote:
5centSi wrote:but with the old rules I used to be fully prepared Stock! :lol:
Fully prepared is for the rich and mentally unstable :(
Some of us are half way there. Guess which half... :(
(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
5centSi
Street Touring Class

Post by 5centSi »

The rules didn't change (well not in the last couple years anyway). Your car just got moved from GS to HS.

And I assure you that you have never been fully prepared. That would require $6,000 shocks, $2,000 custom wheels, etc. Fully prepared is for the rich and mentally unstable :(
Okay Wise One, Young Grasshopper has come back from 'Hasta Luego' to clarify 'fully prepared' in the realm of not tweeking with 'better' shocks that are spec'd to 'stock' rules...I just meant that I haven't done anything to be 'fully prepared' as per new rules the last couple years which allow larger sway bars front or rear. But I did get 300+ lbs unsprung weight off my Si by mounting very light wheels than stock wheels (by the way, still stock by width and offset). The rest of the tweeks I know are the realm of the "rich and mentally unstable"! That's so correct! :lol: I think at that price I would buy an '89 Civic Si Hatch and tweek the rest with the $6K. ;) Hmmm. maybe I should sell my car and...
Hasta Luego
SkinnyG
Street Prepared Class

Post by SkinnyG »

Your bushings and shocks are not holding you back. Your heavy "stock" wheels are not holding you back. Your all-seasons might be.

Drive smoother.

You say you are 3 seconds slower. When I ran H/Stock back in the day, on a 60 second course I only had to be 3.9 seconds slower than C/SP to ~match~ their time by PAX. In my Lethal Locost, I now need to be over 3.42 seconds FASTER than C/SP to beat them in PAX.
Lethal Locost - street legal roller skate
Fiendish Firefly - 5.7lbs of engine in a 1lb bag
Crusty Chevy - shortboxed and dropped, potato potato
5centSi
Street Touring Class

Post by 5centSi »

Okay SkinnyG, it’s been a while since I could reply to your Post. I really wanted to reply earlier but couldn’t because of my personal circumstances this year, but I really do praise/commend and respect your power mechanics expertise and your observation regarding 3 seconds. The following reply is to your response and some of the Post string above...

What I was trying to say in my previous comments in this string, is that I know my 2006 Civic Si very well, drive it to the limit in specific course lines from experience and what the car is able to do, drive as smooth as I can, know after racing it the last 3-4 years of 9 years, that it requires new bushings and dampers. If I could find dampers that could keep me “Stock” unlike Koni that require cut, chop and weld to install in my model Si, thereby making me ‘out-of-stock’, then SkinnyG, I would appreciate your help in finding suspension to keep me in my Stock class but suspension that’s good for AutoX. I’m not knowledgeable like you (and the other AutoX Racers here) regarding mechanically tweaking their old and new cars in their respective Class for each Season, like King Richard, Brain, Schmidts, Aaron and others. I’m a poor man racer in that respect and just love to drive and Race to the limit of my car and ability. I’ve held my own over the last several years in Stock Class, not by fluke, I’ve got seat time, been to Pit Meadows racing VCMC several times including BC Champs, had no AutoX Training Sessions like Velocity (but should one day), chased targets, and have had a target on my back, but raced without spending a lot of money except on the original cost of my new Honda, lighter wheels a couple years later (that are not Custom $2K wheels, just one of the lightest Enkei’s) and extreme performance rubber, when I can afford. I don’t have “heavy stock wheels” and I’ve practiced on “all-seasons” when I was a Novice my first couple years of AutoX (by the way, the best way to learn when a Novice). A couple years ago I thought I could race my Yoko Advan Neova 08’s with 3/32nds remaining from the Season before, well NOT! :roll: Brain explained to me that I had too many heat cycles from the previous Season, they gripped well when cooler-moderate temperatures but after several runs they just became very slippery when they got hot and my times only dropped by a tenth. It was actually a lot of fun driving to the limits of the tire because my Si was sliding around, breaking away like I had winter all-seasons! It was still a fun season even though I was down around 6th or lower overall. Then I entered Eliminator that Season with new Dunlop Direzza IIs, raced well, and everyone thought I had changed my car mechanically. It was just the rubber, but I had good practice with my slippery Yokos! :lol:

Once in a while I do install a new air filter, oil, fresh brake fluid. :o But the SCCA Rules over the last around 2 years have made my car less than ‘original’ G Stock because I can now add suspension sway bars either front or rear (Aaron suggests the rear which I respect his advice is correct). Except now I’m bumped into lower HS with similar PAX, but in reality my PAX hasn’t changed much +/- over the last several years if you consider everything else (‘all’ the other factors). So I need to add a sway bar to keep up to my ‘Stock’ class. Other than that, the next Class is sky-the-limit for costs to be competitive!

I think somewhere in the Postings this year Brain offered SkinnyG to come out and co-drive his Civic or Miata. Well, SkinnyG, I offer you the same opportunity in my Si if I get out racing next Season. You need to get out and have fun racing again. ;)

As for my Co-Driving request with someone this Season, it was because:
1) It was suggested by the Club there could be up to 4 co-drivers per car, so I thought why not ask to co-drive with someone with a faster car. I wanted to be able to drive faster times, not to beat my times, not to beat any co-driver, but the ‘fun’ of driving 3 seconds faster, as SkinnyG described. I understand King Richard and the Top Guns have to drive about 3 seconds faster than me to beat me, as SkinnyG experienced the same back in his days of racing. I just want to drive faster times, to experience it, that’s all.
2) I can’t AutoX Bash on my Civic Si each race, Season after Season, when it’s a daily driver, year-round driving vehicle. But I suppose, a viable option is to purchase a cheap vehicle dedicated to AutoX.

Nobody replied to my request for a co-driving seat this Season, which is okay, because I understand the costs involved, but nobody knows what I had to offer to offset their vehicle’s costs for racing, travel to events, tires, which I was willing to do.

As for my offer to help set-up Sunday Course Events in Vernon because I live here and it’s easy for me to get to Kal Tire Place, nobody offered. So I suspect there’s enough set-up help.

Anyways, it looks like everyone had a fun Season racing this year. Eliminator this weekend will be a blast as usual!

Regards.