Question - should I exclude myself from the results

Should Brian be excluded form the event results?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:20 pm

Yes - excluded - he has an advantage because he designs the course, runs out of order, etc
8%
No - not excluded - if he does gain any advantage it's offset by all the distractions of trying to run the event
67%
Who cares - he's a hack driver anyway
8%
Who's Brian?
17%

Total votes: 12

Brain
Da Brains of da operation

Re: Question - should I exclude myself from the results

Post by Brain »

Personally if I'm putting my name on the course, then I'm the one deciding if it's safe. Someone else driving the course doesn't help me. For that matter sometimes I don't even trust myself. For instance I often ask Kym how he feels about something from a big car/power perspective.

If that means my runs don't count then I'm ok with that. If it means I take one less run I'm ok with that too.

If running in order is a problem then me missing my first run seems to be a good fit since that's when a good bit of the organizational chaos occurs.
gaspasser
Street Touring Class

Post by gaspasser »

Ben wrote:No, not excluded and no lost laps.

Brian does not do all of the course walks that we do, he's busy kicking over cones, making it a safe event.

He is an exceptional driver and places equally well in out of town races. We are lucky to have him.
I have to agree with Ben. This thread is a small tempest in a small teapot. Let the chips lie where they are!
angryturtle
Street Prepared Class

Post by angryturtle »

If it was a national event, then perhaps having one less run. However, In lieu of any compensation for all the time and effort to come early, design and set up the course and make sure the equipment runs for the day, it is a small price to pay to ensure the course is relatively safe and functional. If he did not get to race then why would he bother to come? I guess you could have a different designated individual to volunteer to set up and run a race for one event per year and not get to race that event. You would probably end up not have as many quality events. If there is any small advantage to test driving the course, I think it is a small price to pay for the quality of the events.
Does refusing to go to the gym count as resistance training? :?
cstishenko
Street Class

Post by cstishenko »

Don't bite the hand that feeds....

If you are putting in the time and effort, you should be allowed to run and compete just like anyone else.