Newbie question

What you need to know to start racing
RichardMotion
Street Touring Class

Newbie question

Post by RichardMotion »

Just picked up a car to try this out with, where might be the best place to find rules regarding tech inspection and modifications?
1987 Toyota MR2, hopefully it wont need a lot of attention before the start of the season.
And, I'm a Noobie so any pointers are gonna help greatly...... please.
mcsinc
Prepared Class

Re: Newbie question

Post by mcsinc »

probably start with http://www.scca.com/solo.

a PDF copy of all the rules: http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/ass ... nline1.pdf

You will have to decide which "class" you want to run in, but I would strongly recommend starting in the basic street class and get used to driving your car on a closed course first. Unless you have an unlimited budget, buy the best street tires you can afford (200 treadwear or more) and get a good alignment. Forget about other modifications until you get a really good feel for how your car drives at its limit.

From my experience, I had spent a shi-ot load of money modifying a car, but went back to a stock class in a different car and have actually had more fun with it.

Any other comments from other "seasoned" racers?
(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
autoschmidt
Street Touring Class

Post by autoschmidt »

I wouldn't even worry about the car class rules. I would just show up and drive. That's what I did and it worked wonderfully. When you start, the modifications and classes don't really matter that much, but usually the closer the car is to stock, the better. If your car is not going to explode or lose brakes during the event, it will pass your self evaluated tech inspection. Everybody except for see23 is more than welcome to help out and give you driving and car preparation pointers at the track. Hope to see you out there!
RichardMotion
Street Touring Class

Post by RichardMotion »

Thanks for the info guys. I don't plan on spending a bucket load on the car. More fun to drive a slow car fast then a fast car slow.
was more concerned if things like aftermarket suspension and different brakes would effect class entry.
I'm hoping work schedule will allow me to do both Kelowna and Vernon dates.

"Everybody except See23..." ? I don't get it...
I'm thinking that was made in jest and they are the one everybody is "gunning" for? I'm too green to be part of that private ha ha.

Met some guys last season and you were great, basically solidified my need to try this. Bike stuff is just too spendy and too far away.

Are there meetings or track planning sessions one can volunteer for?
Brain
Da Brains of da operation

Post by Brain »

RichardMotion wrote:"Everybody except See23..." ? I don't get it...
See23 was the season winner last year.....so he has a target on his back. He's actually one of our better instructors.

What they all said ^^^^ just come out and have fun. Modifications do change the car classing, but the biggest factors are driver and tire. An MR2 is a great starting platform - just don't go crazy with mods like forced induction or stripping the interior and you'll probably be ok.

You can post the current mods and any thoughts you have for the future and I'm sure someone will comment whether good or bad. One of the great things about autocross is that there really aren't any secrets.....unless I know something that the competition doesn't :mrgreen:

We'll probably be having a meeting in the next month or so - it will be posted here on the forum.
mcsinc
Prepared Class

Post by mcsinc »

Brain wrote:...unless I know something that the competition doesn't
They don't call you the "autocross ninja" for nothing. Oh wait, who is "they"??
(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
See23
Modified Class

Post by See23 »

Red is fast! But if your car isn't red, the name "Richard" is fast enough so you're off to a great start! 8-)
Myself and just about any of the Ninjas and veteran drivers would be happy to ride along with you and/or have you as a passenger.
New drivers are encouraged to have ride alongs with an experienced driver and we may be making it mandatory for everyone's safety and a more enjoyable experience.
We can help because we've all been there.
Feel. Don't think.
RichardMotion
Street Touring Class

Post by RichardMotion »

SO, I got Richard AND my car is red... Looks like I'm off to a good start..

Car currently has 14's that are in dire need of replacement, other rims are not out of the question... What is the preffered tire amongst you folks?
RichardMotion
Street Touring Class

Post by RichardMotion »

Thanks Spigot52, Shopping starts in earnest next week after I get car home.