spigot52
Street Touring Class

Some Theory

Post by spigot52 »

mcsinc
Prepared Class

Re: Some Theory

Post by mcsinc »

Anyone else's brain hurt reading this? There are way too many variables, and consequently assumptions, to even come close to some sort of realistic answer. IMHO, just my $0.25 USD
(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
SkinnyG
Street Prepared Class

Post by SkinnyG »

Soaked it up like a sponge.

The read is of basic beer-parlour autocross philosophy:

1. Autocross is unique in that you need to find the "best" line.

2. Some cars might be better at point-and-shoot (specifically high power-to-weight cars)

3. Some cars might be better at carrying momentum (especially when there is no shoot, only point. Think H/Stock anything).

~I~ find that the faster the car is, the less I can find the correct line. For me and my Super 7 (and I'm way rusty), I would formulate a plan, but end up driving a line the car took me to. The faster the car, the more "intuitive" and "reflex" not "analysis" you need to be. It has to be natural, and that's why guys who come from a ski-racing or bicycle-racing background tend to kick butt - they find the line much more "intuitively" and "reflexively" than those to are very "analytical" first.
Lethal Locost - street legal roller skate
Fiendish Firefly - 5.7lbs of engine in a 1lb bag
Crusty Chevy - shortboxed and dropped, potato potato
Brain
Da Brains of da operation

Post by Brain »

I tend to go slower the more I think about what I'm doing :?
See23
Modified Class

Post by See23 »

I've been driving the California coast for the last 2 days and have been on a few of the most rediculously windy roads in our travel (not creeper) Van. You can't get much more of a defined path then that but the thing I payed attention to and realized how this applies to all forms of driving is the visual element.
The ability to quickly analyze a corner with all the variables and translate that into braking, steering input and acceleration to have the fastest, smoothest outcome is a huge task that, ultimately comes down to feel, reflex and instinct. You can do all the math you want to find the perfect inputs on a track or road but until you get the "feel" and "visual elements" of the whole deal and are able to translate that into action, you're wasting your time.
Save the pencil lead, get seat time anyway you can. Watch YouTube videos of the fast guys on as many tracks and cone courses as you can and get a racing game that teaches you the line.
You can and must develope the instinct if you want to go fast and that takes practice not paper.
Leave the math to the nerds. :shock:
Feel. Don't think.
5centSi
Street Touring Class

Post by 5centSi »

I agree with SkinnyG's comments, not to praise myself because I'm not that kind of person, but to agree with his point and because of exactly what he said above...
" It has to be natural, and that's why guys who come from a ski-racing or bicycle-racing background tend to kick butt - they find the line much more "intuitively" and "reflexively" than those to are very "analytical" first."

I ski raced for many years (Slalom, Giant Slalom, Downhill, Freestyle, bumps, layout flips, etc.) and I think it's helped me a lot with the AutoX Sport driving only a completely Stock Car and just a bit of "Mechanical" background but nothing like most AutoXers today who seem to have the working knowledge and equipment to tweek their cars for each season.

But sometimes I kick butt! :P