2017 new venue

Brain
Da Brains of da operation

Re: 2017 new venue

Post by Brain »

Craig wrote:What about the parade grounds at the army camp? Large enough for auto cross?
I think it's too small, but I'll check it out on Saturday.

I have mixed feelings about that level of visibility too with it being right beside the highway.
solorex
Street Touring Class

Post by solorex »

angryturtle wrote:I lobbied the organizers at Area 27 back in December to host some autocross on their huge, freshly paved paddock based on the value of teaching car control skills in a low risk environment. I was told that they may do one autocross day in the season although I have yet to get a date. It is a bit of a ways to go but closer than Pitt Meadows and a great opportunity to see the track if it comes to pass.
I'd be all into this. If you need help let me know.
angryturtle
Street Prepared Class

Post by angryturtle »

solorex wrote:
angryturtle wrote:I lobbied the organizers at Area 27 back in December to host some autocross on their huge, freshly paved paddock based on the value of teaching car control skills in a low risk environment. I was told that they may do one autocross day in the season although I have yet to get a date. It is a bit of a ways to go but closer than Pitt Meadows and a great opportunity to see the track if it comes to pass.
I'd be all into this. If you need help let me know.
I don't see it on the schedule yet but I will follow up with them this month.
Does refusing to go to the gym count as resistance training? :?
Brain

Post by Brain »

Brain wrote:
Craig wrote:What about the parade grounds at the army camp? Large enough for auto cross?
I think it's too small, but I'll check it out on Saturday.

I have mixed feelings about that level of visibility too with it being right beside the highway.
I checked it out. Too small unfortunately
miatalvr
Street Class

Post by miatalvr »

Is the vernon airport(Tronson Rd) a possibility?
Terry
5centSi
Street Touring Class

Post by 5centSi »

I recently heard from a fairly reliable source that the parking lot revision at Kal Tire Place allows use by SIKA (Southern Interior Karting Association). They proposed a racing map to fit the north end of Kal Tire Place parking lot. The recent proposal is to change the previous plan by removing some curbing and the triangular rock space (east of our start and finish zone). This area is still viable space, although not a large as before, quite larger than the Kelowna Okanagan College venue. Maybe OBCC can schedule a few races once the details are sorted out...
Brain

Post by Brain »

miatalvr wrote:Is the vernon airport(Tronson Rd) a possibility?
Terry
I don't think so. I looked at Google Earth and there isn't much pavement other than the runway which is always active.
5centSi wrote: Maybe OBCC can schedule a few races once the details are sorted out...

Vince - are you talking about this year or in the future? I've been to the meetings with the planners, architects, city, etc - there's no way we'll be racing there this year. If the go-karts are planning to use it this year then they are using a way smaller piece of pavement than what we use at OUC in Kelowna.

Here's a picture - the parking scenario has changed several times, but the footprint of the new building takes up a good chunk of the existing pavement. Add in all the dust and dirt from the excavation and I doubt the little bit of remaining pavement will be usable either
multiplex.png
multiplex.png (830.65 KiB) Viewed 15086 times
solorex
Street Touring Class

Post by solorex »

BCMA used to hold an annual race at Silver Star...I haven't been up since the snow is off, but I assume it's all frost heaved now? I remember when they re paved it years ago and it was great for a few years (just a little dusty).
SkinnyG
Street Prepared Class

Post by SkinnyG »

I think we lost that lot when SilverStar got sold or something. Might be worth waving potential money at them again?
Lethal Locost - street legal roller skate
Fiendish Firefly - 5.7lbs of engine in a 1lb bag
Crusty Chevy - shortboxed and dropped, potato potato
BossII
Street Touring Class

Post by BossII »

I was going to also suggest Silver star. I don't think it would work, think about the hundreds of tourist that are up their during the summer weekend. I really hope you guys do find a spot in vernon. If i ever had the chance, i would buy a couple acres and turn into a flat paved surface and make into my autocross track :D I would share of course.